Wednesday, January 1, 2014

A Devotional? Or A Drag!?!?

Doing Things Right In Matters Of The Heart by John Ensor

I had seen a couple quotes taken from this book on a blog site of devotionals. Those few quotes peaked my interest to get the book. I was excited for a good devotional having to do with my heart.
Just what I needed!

I was kind of let down. :(  It's more of a scientific like, theoretically religious, point of view type of written book backed up by ENDLESS sources. Sounds exciting right???

I had expected a devotional from said author/pastor with open, guiding, arms in matters of the heart. I think this book could be something that may be great for pastors, youth groups, bible studies, etc. But for the rest of us would I recommend it? eh... Probably not.

If it would've focused on a few key points it'd probably have been a hit with me. Instead I felt like I was running from corner to corner trying to understand what he was getting at.

Although for whatever reason, it came together better at the end.

And for the record who... what author compares their life to food without at least explaining how it is like said item!!! In this book he refers to his life as having pudding. Ok weird choice but I'll roll with it... I wait for an explanation... and wait... uh still waiting..annnnd I don't get it.

That being said I did take some great tools from this book to apply to my own life. He has some eye opening stories and passages from others. He also has some great quotes. I can't help but love me some good quotes to post on social media/share and encourage friends with but.. thaaaat's about it folks.

-D 

No comments:

Post a Comment